Seventy years is the lifespan of man. (Psalm 90:10) The passing of seventy years shows a complete change of society and beliefs. This is not new; it has been occurring for centuries. Only now the change is happening faster. These events from seven decades ago have had a disproportionate influence on our lives and freedoms.
Here are events that occurred in 1948, seventy years ago, and how they have affected our world.
First, the attack on our beliefs:
Next, the global usurpation of national rights:
- McCollum vs. Board of Education – The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that tax-supported property used for religious instruction was unconstitutional – this laid the groundwork for the later prohibition of prayer in schools.
- The First Assembly of the World Council of Churches was in 1948. Included in their initial document is “the right to not believe in God.”
- In 1948 several academic papers were published expounding the “Big Bang” Theory, which suggested the universe was 13.8 billion years old, and eliminating (in their minds) the need for a Creator and promoting the theory of evolution.
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly December 10, 1948. This document makes government the source of human rights, rather than God.
Then, methods for controlling mankind:
- Benelux Customs Union – January 1, 1948 – an economic treaty which inspired the European Union, the most powerful economic entity in the world.
- The General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) took effect January 1, 1948, and later became the World Trade Organization.
Finally, prophetic milestones:
- Transistor invented – Announced by Bell Labs June 23, 1948 – basis of the computer that enables government control.
- Cybernetics, defined by Norbert Weiner in 1948 – “The scientific study of control and communication in the animal and the machine.” (Remember, human beings are animal.)
To those who are younger than seventy years, let me state that the times in which we live are not normal. These listed events from 1948 were the beginning of the process of “boiling the frog,” and we are the frogs.
- Aureomycin, the first of the tetracyclines, was discovered in 1948 by American botanist Benjamin Minge Duggar. The reliance on such antibiotics has led to bacteria becoming immune to antibiotics, and creating the setting for epidemics that mankind will be unable to contain.
- Israel, referred to as “God’s Timepiece,” became a state – May 14, 1948.
Personally, I believe the increase in global government, the genetic modification of mankind, scientists seeking to open a portal to the spiritual world at CERN, the elimination of the value of human life through abortion and euthanasia, the willing acceptance of government control over our lives and rights, and the rejection of Godly values and the increase of worship of Satan all point to the nearness of the Day of the Lord.
“Even so, come Lord Jesus!” – Revelation 22:20
BACK to Lesson Archive.