How To Be Blessed
This is the time of year that Christian ministries depend on for financial support. I suspect that you receive such solicitations in your mailbox daily. The Bible teaches us to be generous, particularly to widows and orphans.
Because people are so touchy about money, ministers are frequently reluctant to preach about giving. However, by not teaching the important subject of stewardship, they can cause their congregations to miss out on great blessings. One definition of a “steward” is someone who has been given responsibility over something, or someone. Christian stewardship involves your utilization of what you have been given, whether talent, time or money.
Since I am not asking you for money, I am free to point out a basic principle of the Lord. That principle is “What and how much you reap, or receive, is directly proportional to what you sow and how much you sow.”
If you sow corn seed, do not expect to reap acres of beans. But whatever you sow, such as murder and hatred or love and joy, you will receive the same. If you are generous, you will receive the same. This is true in agriculture; it is true in your behavior; and it is true in Christian stewardship.
Here is what the Word says about this subject:
This last verse is my favorite, spoken by the Lord Jesus Himself, confirming the principle of “what you sow, you will reap.” This is how to be blessed – be a blessing to others.
- “I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.” – Psalms 37:25
- “There is (one) that scattereth, and yet increaseth; and there is (one) that withholdeth more than is meet, but it tendeth to poverty. The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself.” – Proverbs 11:24-25
- “He that despiseth his neighbour sinneth: but he that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he.” – Proverbs 14:21
- “He that hath a bountiful eye shall be blessed; for he giveth of his bread to the poor.” – Proverbs 22:9
- “Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.” – Malachi 3:10
- “ … remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.” – Acts 20:35
- “Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.” – Luke 6:38
Praise the Lord for His many and abundant gifts to His children!
BACK to Lesson Archive.