Joseph and Daniel
I recently wrote about the Foreshadow of Jacob, and how the life of Jacob at Padam Aram presents us with a foreshadow, or prophecy, of the Last Days. Part of Jacob’s foreshadow involves his son, Joseph, of the many-colored robe. Bible students have noted many parallels and foreshadows between the lives of Joseph and the Lord Jesus.
There are also several parallels between the lives of Joseph and the Prophet Daniel. Here are some that I have perceived. I would not be surprised if there were more.
- Joseph, with the assistance of God, was able to interpret dreams. (Genesis 40:8,12)
- Daniel was given understanding in all visions and dreams. (Daniel 1:17)
- None of the magicians or wise men could interpret Pharaoh’s dream. (Genesis 41:8)
- None of Nebuchadnezzar’s magicians or wise men could interpret his dream. (Daniel 2:10-11)
- After the interpretation of Pharaoh’s dream, Joseph was made ruler of all Egypt. (Genesis 41:40)
- After the interpretation of Nebuchadnezzar’s dream, Daniel was made ruler over Babylon. (Daniel 2:48)
There are four instances where Joseph was placed in a the position of second in authority over others; Jacob, Potiphar, the jailer, Pharaoh. This is also a parallel with the Lord Jesus, who is second in authority to God.
- Joseph, above his brothers, was given a special robe . (Genesis 37:3)
- Daniel was given a special robe by Belshazzar. (Daniel 5:29)
Joseph was second in authority to Pharaoh. After the death of Nebuchadnezzar, Nabonidus became king. The son of Nabonidus, Belshazzar, ruled while his father was away. It was at this time that Belshazzar made Daniel second in authority to himself, or third in command after Nabonidus and Belshazzar. (Daniel 5:29)
Joseph and Daniel were two very great men whose accounts are given in the Bible. We would all do well to model our lives after theirs. I look forward to the privilege of meeting them in Heaven.
- Joseph’s brothers placed him in a pit. (Genesis 37:24)
- Daniel was placed in a pit with hungry lions. (Daniel 6:16)
BACK to Lesson Archive.