Selah is Deliverance
The word “Selah” (Strong’s H5542) as found in the Psalms is thought to be a musical or poetic term. It is also found in Habakkuk chapter three, which is a prayer written in poetic form. However, there is a direct connection between “Selah” and Deliverance. I have reviewed every psalm in which Selah appears, and Habakkuk chapter three, and have found that connection.
Selah is in each of the following psalms and Habakkuk chapter three, and each time it points to saving, or deliverance. To be delivered is to be saved. Here is a sample of what I found:
By the way, Jeshua is the Hebrew version of the name of Jesus. Jesus means salvation! The above psalms all speak of salvation and deliverance.
- Salvation (Jeshua) belongeth unto the LORD: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah. – Psalm 3:8
- I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. – Psalm 4:8
- My defence is of God, which saveth the upright in heart. – Psalm 7:10
- We will rejoice in thy salvation (Jeshua), and in the name of our God we will set up our banners: the LORD fulfil all thy petitions. – Psalm 20:5
- The king shall joy in thy strength, O LORD; and in thy salvation (Jeshua) how greatly shall he rejoice! Thou hast given him his heart's desire, and hast not withholden the request of his lips. Selah. – Psalm 21:1-2
- Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah. – Psalm 32:7
- The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah. – Psalm 46:7
- For he hath delivered me out of all trouble: and mine eye hath seen his desire upon mine enemies. – Psalm 54:7
- He hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me: for there were many with me. – Psalm 55:18
- He only is my rock and my salvation (Jeshua): he is my defence; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation (Jeshua) and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah. – Psalm 62:6-8
The Day of the Lord and the subsequent Millennial Kingdom are the ultimate deliverance of the Children of Israel, and Selah is found associated with them all. The following psalms tell of the Day of the Lord and the coming Kingdom.
Chapter three of Habakkuk is clearly about the Day of the Lord. It describes several apocalyptic events found elsewhere in the Old Testament and in the Revelation. And Selah occurs three times in this passage.
- When I shall receive the congregation I will judge uprightly. The earth and all the inhabitants thereof are dissolved: I bear up the pillars of it. Selah. – Psalm 75:2-3
- Thou didst cause judgment to be heard from heaven; the earth feared, and was still, When God arose to judgment, to save all the meek of the earth. Selah. – Psalm 76:8-9
The Lord is the provider of salvation and deliverance. May His name be praised forever!
BACK to Lesson Archive.